Tuesday, December 22, 2009

Bruce, why are you doing this blog thing at all?

A family member suggested that I post these excerpts from an email I sent him:

Why are you doing this messaging at all? Let’s start in the fall of 2008, when I had done no following of political news since my stroke, about a year and a half. I asked my Dad who was running for office and who he and his wife were voting for. He said McCain and Obama were running and they liked the theme of change that Obama offered. They were voting for Obama, the Democrat.

I know from experience following Clinton and the Clinton impeachment that most of the newspapers, radio and TV only give you the Democrat side of their stories. The Republican side is not mentioned at all. To get the Republican side you have to dig a little but when you get it it’s like breathing a breath of fresh air in the swamp.

Ronald Reagan was my favorite president. I subscribed to Investors Business Daily and listened to Rush Limbaugh whenever I could. These two news sources I have come to trust. I did disagree with Reagan on gun control and his support of the Brady bill but his other positions were right on. America is a great country. Americans have the freedom to choose what is best for them, and to fail or succeed following their chosen path, with little government interference.

I started to watch Obama. He gave some great speeches but then did the opposite of what he said. Oh, no. Clinton all over again. Plus he had no relevant experience. An empty suit. A red flag started waving in my mind. I tried to talk to my father and warn him, but to no avail. If you’ve ever suffered from a speech deficiency, as I have, the words are there, but try to use them. Especially when you’re excited about a topic. What comes out is a stumbling stutter, not exactly the voice of leadership you had in mind.

I decided that God doesn’t want me to fly just yet, as I can no longer pass the medical exam. I did pass the knowledge test and I did go flying with another flight instructor, so maybe sometime I’ll return to normal and can go flying again. That was a dream for retirement, for my wife and I to travel paid for in part by giving flight instruction. Then I had the stroke two weeks after I started as an instructor.

Don’t get me wrong. I am very grateful to still be alive after the stroke. I have a wonderful family and good friends. But my fate is in God’s hands. In terms of getting better it is a long slow process. If what I can do now is that I can type with one hand and think clearly, that is all I need to be able to warn my friends about the loss of freedom going on around them.

I hope that I live long enough to see the Obama tyranny overturned by a president who loves freedom, and the members of Congress replaced with real patriots with term limits. I would like to see the Constitution restored to what it was in the 1800s with no New Deal or judicial activism shenanigans done to it. While we're at it, get rid of the income tax and reduce the size of the federal government to just do what it is supposed to do, per the Constitution.

Bruce

No comments:

Post a Comment